Tuesday, October 23, 2012

No Regrets

7 miles on Sunday, 6 miles on Monday, 6 miles on Tuesday...  And I get a day off tomorrow....  Maybe the hubby will let me sleep in. :P

A lot of my friends ask me where I get the energy.  It's funny to me because I don't just have the energy to run; running gives me the energy to do everything else.  So, I get up before the sun as many days a week as my body will allow and I hit the streets..  I have a great running buddy, and sometimes one or two other runners join us.

We cover a lot of ground, literally and figuratively, and I've shared more of myself with her than I have with anyone else.  A running buddy is a lot like your significant other...  They are there when you need them, and you're there when they need you.  Sometimes, you have to compromise and sometimes you do not like them (like yesterday when Courtney had to get home so we had to run that last hill - it SUCKED).  But that's what you do for your running partner.  And she's done the same for me (like 4 weeks after she had her last child and she agreed to run 10 miles with me because that's what I needed)..  OK, yes.  We are a little extreme, but you get the point.

This morning, Courtney invited another running buddy along.  It was nice.  We all have little ones and plenty to talk about.  And it's funny - not a lot of topics are off limits at 6 in the morning when it's pitch black and your running with headlamps and dodging oncoming traffic (hate when there aren't any sidewalks).  And I didn't want to be the one that held us up, so I ran faster than I usually do.  From that run, I learned something that I already knew....  so I guess you could say, I was reminded of it.  Sometimes, you can do more than even you think you can.

So, here's my challenge to you.  If you aren't running yet and you want to be, find a buddy.  Maybe it's someone who has started running or maybe it's someone, like you, who hasn't started yet but wants to.  Lace 'em up and go for a run.  You can start slow, you can run/walk, but get out there.  You'll never regret it.  Trust me.  This morning, all I wanted to do was to go back to sleep - the kids were up and down all night and I was exhausted.  I dragged my butt to Courtney's because I didn't want to let her down, NOT because I wanted to.  And you know what?  When we were done, I felt great.  You'll NEVER regret going - you'll always regret NOT going.

And if you're a more seasoned runner, I have a challenge for you too.  Find a buddy you haven't run with in a while or someone you've been avoiding running with because you think you're slower.  They will challenge you and you may need to ask them to slow down, BUT your running will improve and you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Who's up for the challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment