Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Safety First, People

My BRF (best running friend) and I normally meet in the early morning during the week, well before the sun, single people, and groggy teenagers are even thinking about getting up!

It's quiet and cold, but it's the best time to run.  Except for one serious problem - commuters!  Let me be more specific - commuters who obviously haven't had their coffee and aren't really driving with any clear awareness. 

I've come close to getting hit by a car more times than I care to count.  And it's getting worse...  Now, I have a headlamp and my BRF has a blinking vest (yes, I said blinking) BUT that doesn't help when a driver is making a right turn at a RED light, and is only looking to the left for oncoming cars.  Look to the right too, people!

I'm going to admit to this, however; before I became a runner, I only looked left.  I rolled up to the end of the street on a red light (rather than stopping behind the crosswalk) and I didn't give a second thought to pedestrians, runners, or cyclists.  Oh, how times have changed.  Now, I'm acutely aware.

So, two weeks ago, my husband decided to go for a run with me (truth be told, we had a fight and he was trying to get back on my good side - he knows the way to my heart, that's for sure).  So, off we go with a babysitter at the house and the sun setting around 5:30pm.  My normal running apparel is mostly black.  I can't explain it - that's just how it happens....  And Mike had a flashlight so I opted for no headlamp.

Off we go on a short 4 mile run, down and back on the main street in our town.  Trotting along and chatting, I remembered how much I love to run with my husband.  It was a blast!  That is until we were heading back and my FAVORITE right turn on RED incident became a little too close for comfort...  Yep, old "need to get home" guy almost took out my knee caps as he rolled forward.  Not sure who was scared worse him, me or my husband.

Good news - I lived to write about it (and it only cut into my running time about 30 seconds).

Bad news - Mike said he wasn't sure he wanted me running anymore (yea, like he could stop me).

Moral of the story - don't trust the people around you (cars or runners).  Be aware and be careful!  But still get up and go!  (like anyone could stop you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment