Friday, November 16, 2012

What Moves You

What moves you?  What motivates you?  What gets you out the door when there a million reasons not to go?  Dinner to make, dishes to load, kids to care for, your favorite show, oh-so-tired after work, no clean clothes, can't find your shoes, maybe you'll go tomorrow, and on and on it can go...

And how do you feel on those days when those millions of reasons win out?  If you're anything like me, you don't stop thinking about it after you've decided to not go.  You continue to think about it all night long and the feeling of regret that I didn't get out when I could eats at me until the next time I DO get out the door.

I've opted for early morning runs because it eliminates a lot of the above.  I have less excuses - there are no expected phone calls, or meetings, or emails to return so the work worries are eliminated.  Most of the time, the girls are sleeping when I leave or just starting to wake up (and yes, sometimes I hear them as I'm closing the door behind me....hehehe, sorry babe, I think as I close the door and head out).

But there are also times when I just don't want to get up.  And on those days, I try to squeeze a run in elsewhere in my schedule.  Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't.  The hardest part for me is letting a missed run go without beating myself up over it.  It's ok to miss a workout.  It's ok to take a day off.  In fact, it's encouraged and yet even when it's a planned rest day, I feel lazy for not doing something.

The sane person in me knows that balance is the key - the crazy, psycho runner in me thinks more miles, more miles, more miles like a creepy echo in a horror movie.  Balance normally wins out.  But not because the sane person wins out, but because I have mommy obligations that stall the crazy, psycho runner from taking over (completely).

No comments:

Post a Comment